We invite writers to submit to the Fractured Lit Micro Fiction Prize from August 1 to September 27, 2020. Guest judge Sian Griffiths will choose three prize winners and 5 Honorable Mention stories from a shortlist. We're excited to offer the winner of this prize $2000 and publication, while the 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive publication and $1000 and $500, respectively. Honorable Mentions will also receive publication and $100.
Siân Griffiths lives in Ogden, Utah, where she teaches creative writing at Weber State University. Her work has appeared in The Georgia Review, Prairie Schooner, Cincinnati Review, and Booth among other publications. She is the author of the novels Borrowed Horses and Scrapple and the short fiction chapbook The Heart Keeps Faulty Time. Currently, she reads fiction as part of the editorial teams at Barrelhouse and American Short Fiction. For more information, please visit her site.
Fractured Lit is looking for flash fiction that lingers long past the first reading. We're searching for flash that investigates the mysteries of being human, the sorrow, and the joy of connecting to the diverse population around us. We want the stories that explode vertically, the flash that leaves the conventional and the clichéd far behind. Fractured Lit is a flash fiction–centered place for all writers of any background and experience.
Good luck and happy writing!
- Your $20 reading fee allows up to three stories of 400 words or fewer each per entry. If submitting three stories, please put them both in a SINGLE document.
- We allow multiple submissions. Each set of three flash stories should have a separate submission accompanied by a reading fee.
- Micro Fiction only. 400 word count per individual story is the maximum amount of words.
- We only consider unpublished work for contests. We do not review reprints, including self-published work.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay. Please notify us and withdraw your entry if you find another home for your writing.
- All entries will also be considered for publication in Fractured Lit.
- Double-space your submission and use Times New Roman 12 pt font.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history (if applicable).
- International submissions are welcome, but we only read work in English.
- We do not read blind.
- Friends, family, and associates including current students of the judge are not eligible for consideration for the award.
Bull City Press is offering a discount for all of our contest submitters! Enter the code (in your confirmation message after submitting) at checkout and save 25% on your BullCityPress.com order. Save on collections from Siân Griffiths, Laura van den Berg, Michael Martone, Anne Valente, B.J. Hollars, and more. Offer expires 4/30/21. Excludes pre-orders, sale items, and subscriptions.